| || |
|Pearl Sea Star||by BBM Explorer on Flickr|
- are spiny skinned animals
- don't have a backbone
- are armored
animals that have a hard endoskeleton made of interlocking calcium carbonate
plates and spines.
- use tube feet to move
- can regenerate a new arm if one breaks
- move slow
- live in tidal pools
- The word echinoderm means "spiny skin."
Modern-day echinoderms have five-fold symmetry, having arms or rays in multiples of five. Some fossil echinoderms did not have five-fold symmetry.
|Hi, There!||by Peter Kaminski on Flickr|
- Starfish or sea stars are echinoderms
- Starfish move using tube
- Some species of starfish
have the ability to regenerate lost arms and can regrow an
entire new limb given time
- Most species are predators, eating mollusks such
as clams,oysters, some snails, or any other animal too slow to
evade their attack (e.g. other echinoderms, or dying fish)
- Starfish remove their stomachs through their mouths in order to eat their prey. The starfish then puts its stomach back inside of its body.
|Brittle star on the beach at Whalers Bay, Deception Island||by Liam Quinn on Flickr|
stars are closely related to starfish
- Brittle stars use
their arms for locomotion.
- They do not depend on
tube feet for locomotion - moving.
|Doraku (Sai) - Sea Cucumber - netsuke - Raymond and Frances Bushell Collection - LACMA||by Marshall Astor - Food Fetishist on Flickr|Sea Cucumbers
- Sea Cucumbers are scavengers, feeding on debris in the the ocean
- The have numerous tube feet, often with suckers, that allow the animal to crawl along
- Evisceration is used by animals as a
- Sea cucumbers eject parts of the gut in order to scare predators.
|14 Sea Urchin and 10 Abalone from Linley Point Reef, Mornington||by avlxyz on Flickr|
- Sea urchins are small, spiny, round animals
- Urchins have tube feet
- They have spines, long and sharp that help protect the urchin
- Sea urchins feed
on algae, but can also feed on sea cucumbers and brittle
|IMG_1603||by Duane Burdick on Flickr|
- Tide pools are
rocky pools by oceans that
are filled with seawater.
- Many animals live in tidal