| || |
|Free woman holding fresh blueberries healthy living stock photo Creative Commons||by Pink Sherbet Photography on Flickr|Nutrition:
Is the science of how foods that you eat affect your body.
Good nutrition is important to maintain life, promote health, and keep diseases from affecting the body.
The Six Categories of Nutrients
- Carbohydrates (Carbs)
- Fats (Lipids)
Considered the body's main source of energy.
- Simple carbs " sugars" are composed of 1 or 2 sugar units (fruits or milk).
- Complex carbs "starches" are composed of many sugar units ( breads, cereal, pasta).
Sugars found in carbohydrates include:
- Glucose- breads and grains
- Fructose- fruits
- Lactose- milk
Many foods high in complex carbs also supply fiber.
|vitamins||by House Of Sims on Flickr|Vitamins
Are vital nutrients. You only need small amounts to consume.
Vitamins are categorized into two groups:
Water-soluble: dissolve in water
- Vitamin C and B vitamins are examples of water-solubles.
Fat-soluble: dissolve in fats
- Vitamin A,D,E,and K are examples of fat-solubles.
Vitamins A,C,and E act as antioxidants, helping protect your body cells from damages leading to health issues.
|Spices on Pink||by geishaboy500 on Flickr|Minerals:
-Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron, and Zinc are minerals that help build and maintain the bones over your lifetime.
- Considered as micro nutrients (need only small amounts).
- Give structure to bones and teeth.
- Provide materials for health blood and tissue.
|3 Brown Boiled Chicken Eggs||by epSos.de on Flickr|Proteins:
Considered the body's building blocks.
Proteins "Amino acids" help your body to grow, repair itself, and fight disease.
Proteins in food come from both animal and plant sources
Proteins found in foods are:
- Dairy products
These products supply proteins containing all the essential amino acids, also known as complete proteins.
Incomplete proteins- Plant sources of proteins that lack one or more essential amino acids.
Fats ( Lipids):
Promotes healthy skin and normal growth as a nutrient.
Lipids stored in your body act as insulation against extreme temperatures and helps protect organs.
There is more than one type of fat:
- Saturated- found in butter, stick margarine, meats, poultry and some dairy products (solid at room temperature).
- Unsaturated- found in vegetables, nuts, olives, and avocados (liquid at room temperature).
|Zen Water||by darkpatator on Flickr|Water:
Is a vitamin because it is essential to life.
- About 2/3 of your body is water.
- Aids in digestion, moistens body tissues
- Absorbs and transports nutrients
- Impacts elimination
Everyday, your body looses about 2 to 3 quarts of water. It is best to regularly drink water to replenish the body.
It is good to drink at least 8 cups of water each day.