| || |
|Black hole wind||by thebadastronomer on Flickr|
- A galaxy is a massive gravitational bound system that has stars and stellar remnants and interstellar of gas and dust and is made of 90% of dark matter.
- The word galaxy comes from the Greek word Galaxias which literally means "milky".
- The closest galaxy to the Milky Way is called Canis Major Dwarf.
- It is inside the Milky Way and is 42 000 light years away from the galactic center and 30 000 light years away from our solar system.
|Hubble image of Arp 274||by thebadastronomer on Flickr|
- There are three types of galaxies.
- The first and possibly the most beautiful galaxy is the spiral galaxy that obviously is shaped like a spiral
- Second is the elliptical galaxy which is shaped like a football
- Third is the irregular galaxy and it has no distinct shape.
- The biggest type of galaxy is the giant elliptical galaxy.
- Most galaxies have around 10 000 000- 100 000 000 000 000 stars.
|Galactic Wreckage in Stephan's Quintet||by NASA Goddard Photo and Video on Flickr|
Andromeda galaxy is a tad larger than our galaxy the Milky Way. We are going to crash into each other in about 3-5 billion years. If the crash happens, there is a high possibility that the two galaxies will form one massive galaxy.
|Suzaku Catches Retreat of a Black Hole's Disk||by NASA Goddard Photo and Video on Flickr|
- There is believed to be a super massive black hole at the galactic center of our universe.
- A black hole is a invisible force that has such gravity that it can pull in even light.
- There is one theory that if you make to the other side of the black hole, you go through time.
- Fortunately, we are not close enough to get sucked into a black hole.