| || |
|more rainforest||by tauntingpanda on Flickr|Rainforest Ecosystem
is described by the heavy rainfall that the area gets yearly.
- In a year, Rainforests normally get between 68 and 78 inches of rain.
- Because of the large vegetation, many areas do not get any sunlight. This makes it very difficult to walk in the Rainforest.
- The Rainforest is home to a large variety of animals, insects, and plants.
|Green Tree Python||by nasmac on Flickr|
The Boa Constrictor
is one of many different types of snakes that call the Rainforest home.
- The boa can be found in rainforests in Mexico, Central America, and South America.
- It eats birds, rodents, and lizards.
- It can grow up to 18 feet in length.
- It can have as many as 50 or more babies during its lifetime.
|Spider Monkey, Ateles geoffreyi paniscus||by marlin harms on Flickr| Spider Monkeys
are another animal species that can be found in the rainforest ecosystem.
- They live high in the trees of the Rainforest. Spider monkeys have been found in Central America, South America, and some parts of Mexico.
- They eat fruits, leaves, nuts, and insects. Spider monkeys can grow to about 15 to 20 inches in length, not including their tail.
- The spider monkey's tail can grow to about 2 to 3 feet in length.
- Female spider monkeys will usually have about one baby in their lifetime.
|Waterlily||by net_efekt on Flickr| Waterlily
is a flower that can be found in the rainforest.
- It is the largest flower in the world and grow up to 6 feet in diameter.
- Though waterlilies are large in size, they are very thin and do not weigh very much, making it easier for them to float on water.
- In the Amazon, some lakes are almost completely covered with waterlilies, making the surface of the lake look like a solid floor.
|Purple Orchid,Singapore Botanical Garden||by Henryleonghw on Flickr|Orchid
is another flower that can be found in the rainforest.
- Orchids give off strong odors that attract insects.
- The insects help the orchids to pollinate.
- The orchid is unusual in the fact that their odor is very strong at night.
- Because of this, moths help the flower to pollinate.
|Flowers of Kapok tree - Ceiba pentandra||by Tatters:) on Flickr|Kapok Tree
is another plant species that calls the rainforest home.
- Many different animal and insect species live in and around the kapok tree.
- The kapok tree is the largest tree in the Amazon rainforest.
- This tree can grow up to 200 feet tall and have a trunk as large as much as 11 feet in diameter.
- Bats are attracted to the odors of the flowers that grow on the kapok tree.
- These bats help the kapok trees pollinate.